Address change information for any province or territory in Canada
YOUR CHANGE OF ADDRESS CHECKLIST - WHO SHOULD YOU NOTIFY?
The list below includes some of the more common services and suppliers. Scroll down for a downloadable checklst and to find address change notifications for Federal government agencies, or your specifc Provincial/Territory agencies
- Canada Revenue Agency, My Service Canada Account and Canada Customs: child tax benefit, Canada Pension Plan, GST rebate, income tax. When you notify your local tax office you will need to quote your tax account number.
- Credit Card Companies: When you receive your statements, fill out the change of address form. This is usually on the reverse of the statement. Don't forget to notify any card protection insurers that you may have.
- Doctor, Dentist & Opticians Health Care Insurance: If you are moving to another province/territory you have 90 days to register in your new province. Make sure you keep paying in your old province, so you have full coverage. When the change is done you will get any credit due from your old provincial health care system.
- Financial Institutions: Notify all your banks/credit unions/financial adviser/investment firms/mortgage brokers of your change of address and maybe consider transferring your accounts to a branch nearer to your new home.
- Insurance Companies: Contact your broker or the individual companies for your Life, Motor, Medical, Pet and Contents and any other insurance. When contacting your house contents insurers, check with them to see what cover you have regarding moving house, you may find that you are fully covered and have no need to take out extra cover with your removal company.
- Motor Vehicles: Change drivers license, vehicle and plate registrations. Provinces allow from 30-120 days for you to change after you become a resident. Some provinces have mandatory inspection programs before you can register/insure your vehicle.
- Schools, Daycares: Let your child's school/daycare know when you intend them to be leaving and advise the new school/daycare when you intend your children to start.
- Utilities: Electricity, Gas, and Water, Contact your existing and new utility companies. Advise them of your new address and date of moving. Give plenty of notice, and always phone them up a second time to confirm your service will be operational on the day you move in.
- Workplace/Subscriptions/Rewards Programs.
- Phone/Cellular Phone/Internet/Cable/Satellite company.
Download your customizable checklist
Statistics Canada describes this country as "a nation on the move." According to the most recent Census, four in 10 Canadians picked up and moved during a five year period. Young adults continue to flock to large metropolitan areas while those over 65 leave urban areas for smaller cities or rural locations.
When you relocate an important things to deal with many address changes. Firstly. arrange to forward your mail 30 days before your move. You can register for Forward Your Mail service online or in person at Canada Post change of address that will ensure that you do not miss important mail sent to your former address.
The next step is to contact utilites, Federal government agencies, Provincial/Territory government agencies Credit Card companies, banks and many more. We have made it easy for you to get started by listing most of the government agencies, both federal and provincial/territoral below. Some provinces make it easy for you to change your address in one place, others require you to change with the specific agency.
You will find a downloadable checklist below to help you rember all your address changes. For family and friends, you can easily send a change of address card via email or mail.
FEDERAL ADDRESS CHANGES
Canada Post, Address Change/Redirect
A convenient way to change your address or redirect your mail! Accessible 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, you can change your addresson-line at least 10 business days before your move or travel. There is a fee for this service.
Canada Revenue Agency, Address Change
You can use this online service to check or change your home address, your mailing address, and your phone number(s).
My Service Canada Account, Address Change
Use this service to view and update your information for Employment Insurance (EI), Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPP-D) and Old Age Security (OAS).
PROVINCIAL/TERRITORY ADDRESS CHANGES
Address Change in Alberta
If you change your address, you’ll need to update your driver’s licence and vehicle registration through a registry agent and provide supporting documentation.
Address Change in British Columbia
If you are moving within British Columbia, you can notify three provincial agencies of your new address by entering the information online. Your information will be sent to the agencies you select: the Medical Services Plan, ICBC, and/or Elections BC.
Address Change in Manitoba
This is an easy way to inform Hydro, Health and many more about your address change from just one form.
Address Change in New Brunswick
Government of New Brunswick online change of address is available on the following: Motor vehicle registration, Driver's licence, Medicare, Property accounts, Parking placard (for persons with disabilities).
Address Change, Northwest Territories
Inform NWT Department of Health and Social Service about your address change.
Address Change, Nova Scotia
If you are moving within Nova Scotia, you can use this website to electronically send change of address information to various government offices.
Address Change, Nunavut
Inform Nunavut Department of Health about your address change.
Address Change, Ontario
This is a fast and easy way to notify the Ministry of Transportation, the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care of your change of address within Ontario. Please do not change your address before you move or it becomes effective.
Address Change, PEI
Inform Prince Edward Island Finance, Energy and Municipal Affairs about your address change.
Address Change, Quebec
You will be able to forward your new address to 6 government departments and agencies in a single step.
Address Change, Saskatchewan
One form to rule them all! You can inform SaskEnergy, SaskTel, Health and many more with one click.
Address Change, Yukon
Inform Yukon Department of Community Services about your change of address.
SHARE THIS PAGE ON: